Friday 8 October 2010

Morning Scepticism: Spiders

I have a fear of spiders, can't stand the creatures. Even when I know they're harmless or behind glass they still make me incredibly uncomfortable. Even looking at pictures puts me on edge. Despite knowing that there's no real danger, I still can't shake off the phobia. Yet it doesn't mean that from my phobia I conclude there really is something to fear about spiders, that my knowledge is insufficient to validate my intuitions. The reaction shouldn't be a triumph over reason.

1 comment:

Monado said...

I have a much milder form of that fear. I don't like them running around or hanging over me.

I wonder how much is learned and how much inherent. Chimpanzees are said to have an instinctive fear of snakes, and one of my cats jumped away in alarm when I tossed a belt near her. It might have looked like a snake.

Do chimps have a fear of spiders? Do you remember anyone around you reacting to them (other kids?)?

P.S. I've added you to my blogroll.