Saturday 25 October 2014

Jonathan Blow on Programming Practices

Since the game programming is a hobby of mine – something I do in my spare time – I tend to have a lot more time to think about what I do than to actually do it. I have filled many pages of notebooks and have made many documents with notes ranging from design material, to specific solutions, and everything in between.

So it’s with that in mind that the following video from the Braid developer Jonathan Blow intrigued me, for it advocates effectively the opposite approach to what I've been taking.



One immediate thing that occurs to me is that I’m no Jonathan Blow. Just being able to sit down and write without inhibitions, I'm fairly certain, would get me a mess that doesn't really do much of anything.

The second thing that occurs to me is that it's taken me a year to get half an engine. So the approach I'm taking now is realistically-speaking unsustainable – at least for the goal I'm trying to work towards.

My hope by this stage of my career is that I've absorbed enough of the good design patterns such that the hard work is done for me. What I seemed to have absorbed, however, is knowledge of the existence of patterns minus the knowledge of their application on low-level functions. Since I've had no professional game development experience, this should come as no surprise – why would I have needed to understand patterns outside of their application in Java EE?

Same goes for my stagnated C++ skills, whereby I'm digging through Scott Meyer’s Effective C++ in the hope I can mitigate a lot of the 'gotchas' on areas where Java manages it for you (such as dealing with pointers). My intuitive grasp of class design and function design is rooted in a Java mindset, and C++ is just far enough away from it that my coding style has to be more deliberate. The lack of private functions, especially, is testing my coding sensibilities.

Blow's list of do’s and don'ts seems on the face of it a good one, and especially pertinent if I replace his use of optimisation with "open design" to reflect the kind of design considerations I'm currently working with. I've spent so much time trying to get things just right – of trying to come up with a perfect class order that will enable extensible code. It’s great when it works, but the cost in time and effort has been considerable for that. As Blow pointed out, this kind of approach won’t pay off in the long term.

The other stand-out idea in his talk was the idea of writing specific code over general code. I know I'm especially guilty of doing this. Some of the time there is good reason to write general code, and to my mind it’s especially important to get it right in the core. But it’s something to reflect on that there is good that is fit for purposes without being so flexible it fits every purpose I desire. My Input class comes to mind, and part of that was I think a rationalisation of adding an abstraction atop of SDL's abstraction of the interface. I got what I wanted, but it’s easy to forget the cost of that.

One final lesson that was worth highlighting was the idea of writing code in a single block. This goes dead against the coding principles outline in Robert C. Martin’s Clean Code. In one sense, I can understand this in C++ because of how annoying it is to write function headers for private functions. But Blow’s suggestion about encapsulation is a point well made.

No comments: